Notwithstanding her public outburst against brother Sunjay Dutt for joining SP, Congress MP Priya Dutt has said that her relationship with him was "above politics" and he will even campaign for her in the next month's general elections if she wishes so.
"We both belong to different political parties. He will have his limitation... So will I, but our relationship is above politics. He will campaign for me if I wish so," Priya told reporters.
Asked whether she would campaign for Sanjay in Lucknow, she said she would do so if her brother wanted her to but added "let us reach that stage first."
"There is no need to draw different conclusions just because we belong to different political parties. Our aim in politics is the same," said the Congress MP, who is seeking a second term in the Lok Sabha from the Mumbai North-Central constituency.
On Samajwadi Party's threat to field a candidate against her if the Congress puts up a nominee against Sanjay in Lucknow, Priya said she "did not understand politics" and would not like to comment on it.
Priya said the polls would not be a cakewalk for her though she had won in 2005 bypoll with a thumping majority.
"That was my father's election. People had voted for him though he was no more. I too was not in a frame of mind as I had just delivered my first child."
"But now it is different. I'm involved in planning the the election campaign. My interaction with voters will also increase this time during the campaign," she said, adding "voters are not naive, they will judge by your worth."
Priya said that the last three years as an MP had been a learning process for her.
"Even though there have been ups and downs, I have continued to focus on my work. I feel my father's presence everyday and I look up to him for guidance in my day to day life. I feel I'm continuing his work in the constituency."
The Congress MP said that delimitation had not made much of a difference to the democratic profile of her constituency.
"The constituency is a diverse mix of people from all walks of life and my endeavor has been to reach out to each one of them," she said.
Sanjay Will Campaign for Me if I Wish: Priya Dutt
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Rhea Chakraborty Urges CBI To Arrest Neighbour For False Statement
- RCB Vs KKR: Rousing Start From Bangalore Openers; 58/0 (7)
- Madhubani Diary: Dalit Artist Paints A Portrait With Words
- Hathras Case: Victim's Family Members Appear Before HC, Next Hearing on November 2
- Casteaways: Hathras Throws Up Uncomfortable Questions For BJP
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu Tests Negative For COVID-19
- Kejriwal Protests Farm Laws, Says BJP Has Betrayed Country’s Farmers
- Mumbai Power Outage: Services Resume Partially
- Khushbu Sundar Dropped As Congress Spokesperson, Joins BJP Formally
- How Easy Was Nadal's Draw On His Way To 20th Grand Slam Title
- Carlton Chapman Dies At 49
- NEET Results To Be Announced On Friday
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Reply On Pleas Challenging Farm Laws