Amid reports that it may not want market regulator SEBI Chairman C B Bhave to continue beyond February next, the government has kicked off a search process for the next incumbent.
A high level search panel, headed by Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar, has been constituted by the government for the purpose, though it is said that Bhave himself could apply for the fresh term after his three-year stint ends in February 2011. Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla is also part of the panel.
While no communication could be established with Bhave, names of Chairman of State Bank of Indian O P Bhatt, National Stock Exchange Chief Ravi Narain, a top finance ministry officer K P Krishnan, who is now part of the Prime Minister's Economic Advisory panel, are doing the rounds.
SEBI had moved the Supreme Court against Insurance Regulatory Authority on the issue of managing Unit Linked Insurance Policies (ULIPs) of insurance firms before government stepped in to decide on a turf issue between the two regulators and enacted a new law this month for the purpose.
The row between SEBI and IRDA followed after the market regulator, in a late night order on April 10, banned 14 insurance companies from operating ULIPs.
Bhave, who was chairman of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), was appointed SEBI chief in February 2008 when P Chidambaram was the Finance Minister.
He took from M Damodaran who had refused to appear for interview before the then search panel to seek a second term.
The search panel, sources said, will suggest two three names for SEBI chairman's post. The financial selection, however, will be made by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) on a proposal to be mooted by the Finance Ministry.
Search Panel to Look for Next SEBI Chief
THE LATEST ISSUE
- RBI Reduces Key Repo Rate By 75 Basis Points To 4.4% Amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Death Toll Rises To 17; Positive Cases Soar To 724 In India
- US Has Now Most Positive Coronavirus Cases In World; Overtakes China, Italy
- 'We Are At War And Not Winning': UN Chief Calls For Wartime Plan To Fight COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Raises Serious Questions About China's Conduct
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Prasar Bharati To Re-run 'Ramayan' From Mar 28
- Coronavirus: Athletes Qualified For 2020 Olympics Will Keep 2021 Spots – REPORT
- UP Cops Make People Hop With Bags During Coronavirus Lockdown
- Kabul Gurdwara Attack: A Pak Attempt To Rupture Strong Indo-Afghan Ties
- Working Together With G20 Countries Against Coronavirus Pandemic: Donald Trump
- Harassment Of Workers Threatens Production Of COVID-19 Test Kits
- Coronavirus: A James Bond-Inspired Mobile App Helping TN Authorities
- Key Questions As Wimbledon Faces Postponement Or Cancellation