Minority Affairs Minister K Rahman Khan today called secularism a virtue which teaches people to respect human values.
He was speaking at the inauguration ceremony of 'Islam and Modernity: The Perspective of Bediuzzaman Said Nursi', an international conference organised at Jamia Millia Islamia.
"In the context of a secular society, the views of Said Nursi are relevant. He has explained how a non-Muslim's rights should be respected, how he should be treated as a human being", Khan said.
"This is what is required today. Secularism is a virtue which teaches to respect human values. Once we respect human values, people will appreciate the teachings of Quran and respect Islam," the minister said.
Speaking about Said Nursi, a Sunni Muslim theologian who wrote the 'Risale-i Nur' Collection, a body of Qur'anic commentary exceeding 6,000 pages, the minister bestowed rich praises on him.
"His contribution, his thought, his approach to Islam is well known. He is a scholar of international repute. He lived and died for the principles of Quran," Khan said.
Tariq Anwar, minister of state for agriculture and food processing industries, and E Ahmad, Minister of State for External Affairs were also present at the inauguration ceremony.
The ministers spoke at length about Said Nursi's life and his contribution to society.
Secularism Is a Virtue: Minority Affairs Minister
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Faf, Watson Toy With Punjab; Chennai 135/0 (14)
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris