The sports fraternity today expressed outrage at the International Olympic Committee's decision to suspend India for government interference, with some athletes blaming the IOA for the entire fiasco.
While some former sportspersons were critical of the way IOA handled the whole issue, the current athletes bemoaned the fact that their Olympic participation for the country has been jeopardised.
"Bye bye IOA. Hope to see you soon, hope to see you clean," the 2008 Beijing Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra said in his reaction to the suspension.
Bindra's compatriot and London Olympics bronze medallist rifle shooter Gagan Narang termed the development "unfortunate".
"It's unfortunate but I am not too sure about the issue, haven't been following them of late," he said.
Beijing Games bronze medallist boxer Vijender Singh agreed with Narang but hoped for an early settlement of the issue.
"I don't know what has gone wrong. It is an unfortunate development. Elections were to be held under the Sports Code which is similar to the IOC Charter. So, I don't know why the IOC took this step.
"I hope the matter is resolved early so that there is no long-term implication on athletes," the 29-year-old strapping pugilist said.
Five-time women's world champion boxer and another London Games bronze medallist M C Mary Kom was appalled by the development and said it the sportspersons who will have to bear the brunt.
"I am absolutely shocked by this news. I don't know how the matter was handled by the higher authorities. But it is the athletes who will suffer if the situation is not resolved quickly," she said.
Sports Fraternity Irked Over IOA's Suspension
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC: Vibrant Delhi Rout Bangalore By 59 Runs To Go Top Of Table
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Ashwin Leaves Finch With 'Mankading' Warning
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Delhi Capitals Will Be Hard To Beat In IPL 2020, Says RCB Skipper Virat Kohli