Pakistan's ruling PPP chief Bilawal Bhutto Zardari today directed the government of Sindh province to take "stringent action" against those responsible for the rape of a six-year-old Hindu girl.
Bilawal, who has begun assuming a larger role in the affairs of the Pakistan People's Party ahead of the formal launch of the party's campaign for next year's general election, instructed the Sindh government to "take stringent action against the real culprits so that they can be brought to book and punished for this inhuman crime".
He also directed the provincial government to "provide every kind of assistance, including the best medical facilities" to the girl and her family, said a statement issued by the PPP.
Bilawal, who is expected to lead the PPP's election campaign, sent a bouquet to the girl from Umerkot district, who is currently being treated at Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Hospital in Karachi.
He also sent a message to the girl and her family of "his renewed commitment to protect all the weak segments of society from atrocities and violence", the statement said.
The girl was kidnapped from Ghulam Nabi Shah town in Umerkot district in the first week of December and raped.
She was admitted to the hospital in Karachi about 10 days after she was molested.
The girl's relatives brought her to Karachi after she was not provided proper care at hospitals in Umerkot, Mirpurkhas and Hyderabad.
The National Assembly or lower house of parliament last week asked its Standing Committee on Human Rights to probe reports of the rape.
There have been several reports of harassment and kidnapping of members of the minority Hindu community in Sindh and Balochistan provinces this year.
Reports have said that dozens of Hindu families had stayed on in India after travelling to the neighbouring country for pilgrimages.
Stringent Action Against Rapists of Hindu Girl: Bilawal
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Bihar Polls 2020: Voting Begins In First Phase
- SRH Vs DC: Delhi Suffer Hattrick Of Defeats After Big Loss Vs Hyderabad
- The Tanishq Ad In Real Life: Smiles And Tears Of Inter-faith Couples
- India, US Ink Defence Pact, Pompeo Says US Stands With India On Galwan Valley Clash
- Elections, And Why The Joke’s Always On Us
- Why Jofra Archer, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje Making IPL A Connoisseur’s Delight
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Can Nitish Be Dislodged? All You Need To Know About Bihar Polls 2020
- Facebook India’s Top Executive Ankhi Das Quits
- ‘Surrender Illegally Occupied Areas’: BJP J&K Chief Warns Pak, China
- Can We Really Trust Our Media?
- Anyone Can Now Buy Land In J&K, Ladakh Exempted
- Tuticorin Custodial Deaths: CBI Chargesheet Establishes Torture
- IPL 2020: Rohit Sharma Unlikely As MI, RCB Fight For Playoff Berth
- Playoffs Scenarios: Advantage For KXIP But Don't Rule Out KKR, SRH