Dr Lobsang Sangay, the democratically-elected leader of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), today signed the Charter amendment for the change of the official title of Tibetan Prime Minister (Kalon Tripa) to Political Leader (Sikyong).
This ceremony was held at the Tibetan Secretariat here.
The charter amendment bill related to this was earlier passed in the Tibetan parliament, which gave its unanimous approval to the charter amendment.
The name change has been effected in keeping with the Dalai Lama's speech on August 8, 2011.
Following the devolution of his political authority to the democratically-elected Tibetan leadership, Dalai Lama had said he was handing over the political leadership he inherited to "Sikyong Lobsang Sangay."
"I took over the political leadership of Tibet from Sikyong Taktra Rinpoche, when I was 16 years old. Today, in the 21st century, when democracy is thriving, I hand over the political leadership of Tibet to Sikyong Lobsang Sangay," the spiritual leader of Tibet had said.
Sangay was elected in the third direct elections for the Kalon Tripa held in March 2011.
However, after this amendment, title 'Kalon' (minister) for the remaining seven members of the Kashag (Cabinet) will remain the same.
Tibetan PM Now 'Political Leader' After Charter Amendment
THE LATEST ISSUE
- 'Don't Vote For JD(U), BJP-LJP Will Form Next Govt,' Says Chirag Paswan
- Air Chief Marshal On Eastern Border Standoff: China Can’t Get Better Of Us
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- RCB Vs DC LIVE: No Favourites In Dubai Big Bash
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- 2 CRPF Personnel Killed In Terrorist Attack In Kashmir’s Pampore
- Veteran Spinner Amit Mishra's Season Ends With Fractured Finger
- Delhi Riots: Umar Khalid Sent To 14 Days Judicial Custody
- AIIMS Report A 'Slap' On Those 'Defaming' Maharashtra: Minister
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- BJP Leader Shot Dead In West Bengal
- Cavani To Man Utd, Depay To Barca: Possible Transfer Deadline Day Deals