Actress Khushboo joining the DMK highlights the inseparable bond of politics and filmdom in Tamil Nadu which has had actors and playwrights going on to become Chief Minister.
With her taking the plunge into politics on Friday, the 39-year-old actress has joined a list of celebrities who made use of their silver-screen charm and popularity to garner votes, with veteran actor SS Rajendran first stepping into Tamil Nadu Assembly on a DMK ticket in 1957.
The State is known for its history of actors and cinema professionals joining politics.
Late MG Ramachandaran (MGR), his wife Janaki, both actors, his protege Jayalalithaa, a popular actress in the late sixties and seventies, and present incumbent M Karunanidhi, a playwright, have occupied the Chief Minister's chair.
DMK founder CN Annadurai, also a playwright, was DMK's first Chief Minister in 1967. After his death in 1969, Karunanidhi first took over the reins of the state.
Karunanidhi's razor-sharp script against social evils and the dialogues mouthed by 'Sivaji' Ganesan in the 1950s Parasakthi catapulted him to fame, prompting the actor later to take the plunge into politics, serving different parties at different times, including Congress.
Karunanidhi, 86, has held the Chief Minister's post for 19 years in different terms.
After his early days as an important member of the DMK, Tamil icon MGR later launched his own AIADMK, banking on his popularity that never let him down. Jayalalithaa, who also paired against him in a number of films, has been Chief Minister twice.
MGR's contemporaries - Rajendran, Ganesan and Padmini were also in active politics at some point of their life.
The next generation of actors were no exception.
While Rajnikant openly supported the DMK-TMC (Tamil Maanila Congress) in the 1996 elections which was instrumental in the alliance's massive win against AIADMK, his peer Kamal Haasan had no qualms publicising his left-leaning policies.
Khushboo's entry into politics was in the air for some time as it was widely speculated that she could join the Congress.
Her entry into DMK is seen as an effort by the party to boost its star campaigners team, ahead of Assembly elections next year with opposition AIADMK banking heavily on their charismatic party leader Jayalalithaa to come back to power.
The actress was cleared by the Supreme Court last month of the 22 cases against her for her remarks on pre-martial sex in an interview to a magazine in 2005.
Khushboo, who has a considerable fan following in the state with even a temple built for her in Perambalur district, joined the DMK after some parleys, living up to the tradition of actors predominantly preferring one of the Dravidian parties.
Her entry into DMK is seen by political observers as the party's answer to Jayalalithaa.
Another popular actor Vijayakant has floated his own party - Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam - and represents Viruddhachalam in the Tamil Nadu Assembly while top actor R Sarathkumar is President and founder of the All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi.
Union Minister of state for Social Justice and Empowerment D Napolean belongs to the DMK.
TN Politics, Filmdom Inseparable Entities
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Hathras Case | Options Being Explored To Defend Accused: Former BJP MLA At Caste-Based Meet
- KXIP Vs CSK LIVE: Faf, Watson Toy With Punjab; Chennai 101/0 (10)
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- LJP Goes Solo In Bihar Polls, But Will Chirag Paswan Prove To Be The New Mausam Vaigyanik?
- Hathras Case: UP Police Lathicharges RLD Leader
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- In The TIME Of Bilkis Bano As Dadi Cool
- Hathras: Chandrashekhar Meets Family
- Bihar Elections: 47 Open Grounds, 19 Halls For Public Rallies
- Pandey's Stunning Take Is A Thing Of Beauty
- PM Modi A Puppet In Hands Of Ambani-Adani: Rahul Gandhi At Tractor Rally
- Fifty Years Of Satyajit Ray's Aranyer Din Ratri
- Mission Bengal: A Saffron Experiment
- French Open: Nadal Makes Light Work Of Korda In Gusty Paris