A day after the Congress in Tamil Nadu was decimated in the Assembly polls, TNCC President K V Thangkabalu announced his resignation from the post, accepting moral responsibility for the defeat.
Addressing reporters here, Thangkabalu said he will send his resignation letter to Congress President Sonia Gandhi soon and will abide by the party high command's decision on the matter.
He, however, added that no party should be 'singled out' for the DMK-led front's rout in the polls by the AIADMK combine, and said he accepted the people's verdict.
The Congress had at the end of tough negotiations with regional alliance leader DMK secured 63 seats but was overwhelmed by the AIADMK juggernaut, managing to bag only five constituencies.
Thangkabalu, facing flak from various factions in the party for the choice of some candidates, himself had lost to AIADMK's R Rajalakshmi in Mylapore.
Though his wife Jayanthy was initially nominated as Congress candidate for the constituency in Chennai, her papers were rejected and he became the nominee by virtue of being the dummy candidate.
Thangkabalu, a former MP, had been facing a tough time from the party cadre, especially after the candidates were announced for the 63 seats.
He had to face the wrath of supporters of some leaders who, denied tickets, went even to the extent of damaging property at TNCC headquarters, Satyamurthy Bhavan.
The AIADMK-led alliance had won 203 seats while the DMK-combine 31. The Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK secured an absolute majority of its own in the 234-member assembly, bagging 150 seats of the 160 it contested.
TN Polls After-Effect: TNCC Chief Thangkabalu Resigns
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Delhi, UP Seal Coronavirus Hotspots; Here Are The Areas To Be Locked Up
- Coronavirus Threat & Shortage Of Migrants Pose Challenge to Farmers In Punjab, Haryana
- Coronavirus Tests Must Be Conducted Free Of Cost In Govt & Private Labs, SC Tells Centre
- At All-Party Meet, PM Modi Suggests Extending 21-Day Lockdown
- Corona In The Chambal, Corona In The Secretariat
- Chronology Is Clear: MPLADS Abolition Leaves MPs At The Mercy Of Centre
- Bollywood Needs A New Ecosystem To Bring Its Economy Back On Track After Corona
- 'Corona Jihad', 'Tablighi Virus'...Would 'Mandir Virus' Be Okay In Such Intolerant Times?
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Coronavirus Hotspots In 15 UP Districts To Be Sealed: All You Need To Know
- Bernie Sanders Drops Out Of US Presidential Race; Biden To Face Trump
- Mehbooba Mufti Determined To Oppose 'Illegal Abrogation of Art 370'
- Opinion: Animal World May Not Be Immune To Coronavirus Pandemic
- Phased Rollback Of Lockdown Most Rational Approach: Kerala CM
- Private Airlines Refused To Carry Samples Of Coronavirus To Pune For Testing
- Suspension Of Olympics Qualification Big Blow For Indian Athletes: Coach
- Fate Of I-League Hangs In Balance, Decision After COVID-19 Lockdown