The US Congress has passed a unanimous resolution honouring the achievements of Richard Holbrooke and recognising the significant contributions of the top American diplomat to the country's national security as well as to international peace.
Holbrooke, the Obama Administration's pointsman for Afghanistan and Pakistan, died last week after undergoing a surgery for a tear in his aorta.
The resolution passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate said it "honors the exceptional achievements of Ambassador Richard Holbrooke and recognises the significant contributions he has made to United States national security, humanitarian causes, and peaceful resolutions of international conflict".
Speaking on the Senate Floor on Saturday, Senator John Kerry, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said it is difficult to imagine wrestling with the challenges of Afghanistan and Pakistan without him.
"But we are all sustained by the decades-long example Richard set making the possibility of American perseverance more of a reality. And for that our nation will always be grateful," he said.
"We remember Richard not just as one of America's most distinguished and accomplished statesmen, but as a man who —- from Vietnam to his last mission in Afghanistan -— really was a warrior for peace. It is fitting that we honour him by approving this resolution," Kerry said.
The resolution said Holbrooke served as a steadfast emissary of the United States as the Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, tirelessly advocating for US interests and peace in the region, mobilising unprecedented international support, facilitating economic, transit, trade, and security cooperation between Afghanistan and Pakistan, and working to enhance stability, to build prosperity, and to counter extremism and terrorism in the region.
"With the passing of Ambassador Holbrooke, our country has lost a brilliant and respected diplomat. We have — but his life and his legacy will continue to affect our search for peace in the world, resolution of conflict, improving relationships among countries, having a values based American foreign policy," said Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the US House of Representatives, on Friday.
Congresswoman Nita Lowey described Holbrooke as one of of America's most talented diplomats who possessed a fierce determination and unsurpassed brilliance in advocating for American security, diplomatic and development interests around the world.
She cited his diplomatic efforts in Southeast Asia, post-Cold War Europe, at the United Nations, and most recently in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
US Congress Honours Holbrooke's Achievements
Lalit K Jha/Washington
THE LATEST ISSUE
- No Ifs And Buts, Nitish Kumar Will Remain CM Even If We Win More Seats: BJP
- MI Vs RR LIVE: Buttler Wages Lone Battle; Rajasthan 84/4 (12)
- Court Awards Life Imprisonment To Four; Victim's Family Demands Death Penalty
- Congress Tractor Rally: Rahul Gandhi Allowed To Enter Haryana After High Drama
- In Den Of Match-Fixers, Why BCCI's Fraud Detecting System For IPL Still Has Holes
- Chennai Super Kings' Belief In Shane Watson Surreal, But That's What MS Dhoni Is All About!
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Innocent Or Framed? Who’s The Real Rhea Chakraborty, After All?
- Mumbai Court Extends Rhea Chakraborty's Judicial Remand
- Truce Is The Only Option For EPS And OPS
- Atal Tunnel Opens Avenues Of Innovation In Tourism
- French Open: Line Judge Deja Vu For Djokovic In Khachanov Win
- Advancing Security In Indo-Pacific A Priority: Jaishankar At Quad Meeting
- How Is De-Globalization An Opportunity For India?
- CSK's Belief In Watson Surreal, But That's What Dhoni Is All About