Suspected Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) party activists set ablaze a bus and damaged several others in the district demanding Central and Tamil Nadu government's intervention to stop the ongoing war between Sri Lankan army and LTTE in the island, officials said on Friday.
As VCK leader Thol Thirumavalavan observed indefinite fast in Maraimalai Nagar near Chennai on the Lankan issue for the past three days.
The party activists went on the rampage here last night, shouting pro-LTTE slogans and attacking a number of buses in different places in the district.
Officials said four persons got into the Alanganallur-Melur bus at Oorcheri asked the sole passenger to get down and forced the driver to stop the bus at Malaipatti at knife point. Later they poured petrol and set the bus on fire.
All the seats in the bus were charred in the fire. In another incident near Othakadai a petrol bomb was hurled at a bus. Some seats were damaged, officials said.
More than 10 buses were damaged in stone pelting at Kodikulam, Chekkanoorani, Oothupatti, Puliangulam, Kallandhiri, Alamarathupatti and Muduvarpatti. The violence forced transport officials to stop the night bus services.
Buses were attacked at Goripalayam, Sellur and Anna Nagar in the city. Hundreds of passengers were stranded at Arapalayam bus stand after the violence as buses were not operated after 9.30 pm, officials said, adding no one was injured in the incidents.
VCK Men Go on Rampage on Lankan Issue
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Captain Amitabh Singh, The Man Who Piloted Air-India's Mission Wuhan
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Bengal Shuts Eateries, 12 More Test Positive In Kerala
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: More Than 5 People Can't Gather In Delhi, Will Lock Down City If Needed, Says Kejriwal
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- 'You Are Not Invincible': WHO To Youth Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Mary Kom Breaks Quarantine Protocol Amid Coronavirus Scare
- PK-da Was 'Guardian Angel Of Indian Football,' Bhutia