The assault on Congress MLA Rumi Nath sparked off violent protests and a bandh in south Assam's Barak Valley today as police resorted to lathicharge and apprehended five persons involved in the attack.
Tension prevailed for the second day in Barak Valley over the assault of the MLA and her second husband Jacky Zakir as violence was reported from several areas.
"Five persons suspected to have been involved in the attack on the woman MLA have been arrested from here," Karimganj district Superintendent of Police Pradip Pujari said.
Supporters of Nath pelted stones and damaged two buses of the Assam State Transport Corporation in Karimganj.
Eight minority organisations, including Ahl-e-Sunnat, called for a 12-hour bandh in Hailakandi district today.
The outfits called for action against persons responsible for the assault on Nath and her husband and also demanded that government take steps to protect the minority communities.
The bandh was total and normal life in the district was disrupted, official sources said.
Meanwhile, in Srikona in Cachar district, police resorted to a mild lathi charge on supporters of Nath, who had resorted to a road blockade.
Nath, who represents Borkhola constituency in Cachar, and her second husband were beaten up and injured on Friday night in a hotel here by a group of people who were angry over her second marriage without divorcing her first husband.
The MLA and her second husband, who were escorted to Guwahati, have received medical treatment and were reported to be out of danger.
Nath has filed an FIR with the police alleging that a mob had attacked her on "political motivation".
Violence in Assam Over Assault on MLA Rumi Nath
THE LATEST ISSUE
- PM Modi To Address Nation At 8 PM Today, Will Discuss 'Vital Aspects Relating To Coronavirus'
- Omar Abdullah, Ex-J&K CM, Released After Almost 8 Months Of Detention
- Police Clear Anti-CAA Protest Site At Delhi's Shaheen Bagh Amid COVID-19 Fears
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Complete Lockdown In 32 States, UTs As Positive Cases Spike In India
- First Communal Violence, Now Coronavirus Fears, Delhi's Riot Victims Have Nowhere To Go
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Loyalty Test: Time For Indian Businesses To Fund Fight Against Coronavirus
- Vaccine Trials To Fight Coronavirus Offer Hope, Could Be Harbinger Of New Technology
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan Sworn In As Madhya Pradesh CM
- J&K Police Filing FIRs, Using Drones In Fight Against Coronavirus
- EC Defers Rajya Sabha Polls Scheduled For March 26 In View Of Coronavirus Outbreak
- ICMR Recommends Hydroxychloroquine For Healthcare Workers Tackling Covid-19 Patients
- Olympics Postponement Inevitable: IOC Official
- Bajrang Punia Donates Six Months' Salary In Fight Against COVID-19