Congress MP Priya Dutt today said that their family would explore all the options to seek clemency for her actor-brother Sanjay Dutt.
"As a sister, as a family...We will always stand by him (Sanjay). That is what any loving family will do. It is only logical that as a family we will explore every option," Priya said in a press statement issued here.
"If the purpose of incarceration is reform and punishment for crime committed, then I believe he has undergone both," she added.
Stating that the Dutt family has accepted the Supreme Court judgement, Priya said, "We stand strong together in this trying time to give each other strength and courage."
"A 20-year ordeal has finally come to an end. Twenty years is a lifetime for most people. In Sanjay's case this has been a lifetime of tension and anxiety...A lifetime of repentance and reform...A lifetime of punishment and trial," she said.
She thanked the media and the film industry for their support. "For Sanjay, versions of verdicts have been passed on him throughout these years. He has been judged by all during these 20 years and sometimes in the most harsh ways," she said.
"Yet, he has stood strong and firm, normalised his life, served the society, helped and stood by his colleagues, friends and family and is today one of the most dependable people in the film fraternity," Priya added.
Press Council of India chief Markandey Katju, a former Supreme Court Judge and some prominent personalties of Bollywood have sought pardon for the film star.
Will Explore All Options to Get Clemency for Sanjay: Priya
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Indra Gupta, The Sarkari Doctor Aspiring To Keep Jaipur In The Pink Of Health
- Stay Wherever You Are To Stop Coronavirus From Spreading: PM's Message To Country
- 'Don't Panic,' Sonia Gandhi Tells People, Suggests PM Annouce Sector-Wise Relief Package
- The Viral Learning Curve: Universities And Classes In The Time Of Corona
- Coronavirus: Cases In India Rise To 283; Amid Fear, Country To Observe 'Janata Curfew' Tomorrow
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Restructuring Indian Railways’ Cadres: Is The Proposal Good For The Nation?
- In Chasing Away Maoists, Odisha's Malkangiri Village Delivers Telling Message This R-Day
- Vasundhara Raje, Who Attended Party With Kanika Kapoor, Tests Negative For Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: UP Govt To Give Rs 1,000 To Daily Wage Labourers, Construction Workers
- MP: 22 Rebel Congress MLAs Join BJP; Scindia Says Everyone Will Get Tickets
- Clapping Won't Help, Country Needs Economic Package: Rahul's Jibe At PM Modi
- Some To Protest From Balconies Against NRC, CAA During Janta Curfew
- Coronavirus: SC Lawyer Bodies Appeal To CJI To Declare Holidays For 2-4 Weeks
- Mary Kom Breaks Quarantine Protocol Amid Coronavirus Scare
- Coronavirus Grows, As Do Questions: Will The Tokyo Olympics Open?