Only 7.48 per cent of the 485 candidates are in the fray for 62 constituencies in the first phase of polling in Assam today are women.
The 38 women contestants, including a minister and the deputy speaker, have been fielded from various political parties besides being independents, EC sources said.
The majority of 12 contestants are from the ruling Congress, followed by 10 from BJP and just 2 from main opposition Asom Gana Parishad.
The other political parties who have given tickets to women candidates are NCP 4, SUCI (Communist) and Trinamool Congress 2 each, besides Samajwadi Party and CPI-M 1 each.
Four women are trying their electoral luck as independents.
Among the Congress nominees are PWD Minister Ajanta Neog from Golaghat, Deputy Speaker Pranati Phukan from Naharkatia and former minister Amiya Gogoi from Duliajan.
The Congress kin in the fray today include sitting MLA and former Assam minister Ripun Bora's wife Monika at Gohpur, ex-union minister Paban Singh Ghatowar's wife Jibontara at Moran and his former cabinet colleague Santosh Mohan Dev's daughter Sushmita from Silchar.
Former Assam minister Jiba Kanta Gogoi's daughter-in-law Bismita is in the fray for Khumtai and former minister Rashidul Haque's daughter-in-law Salma Jesmin from Rupohihat.
BJP expelled MLA Rumi Nath is contesting as a Congress candidate from Barkhola.
For the AGP, Khumtai sitting MLA Probin Gogoi's wife Upasana is contesting in his place, while sitting MLA Alaka Desai Sarma, widow of former minister Nagen Sarma, is seeking relection from Nalbari.
Also in the fray is Supriya Rani Brahma, wife of former Bodoland Peoples Council chief Prem Sing Brahma, the sources added.
The current assembly has ten women legislators in a house of 126.
Women Contestants Only 7.84% in Assam
THE LATEST ISSUE
- Highrises Of Nightmares! Why Coronavirus Will Extend Slowdown Period In Real Estate Sector
- Transportation Of Non-Essential Goods Also Allowed During Lockdown: MHA
- Coronavirus: Confirmed Cases Cross 1000-Mark In India, Death Toll Rises To 27
- Corona Warriors: 'PM Modi Ignored Us,' Say Pharmacists As Gadkari Opens Old Wound
- Coronavirus: Seal Borders To Stop Exodus Of Migrants, Centre Tells States
- Ramanand Sagar’s Ramayan Then and Now: Politics Of An Epic Kind
- Blog: Kashmiris Have Lived Through Many A Lockdown. They Could Advise World On How To Face One
- Dipak Misra Was Reviled As CJI But Ranjan Gogoi Beguiled His Way To Power
- Taking Up Hijab Against Coronavirus
- Seemingly Happiest People Often Suffer From Depression
- Blog | Not Music Or Art, But It's 'Fear' That Binds Us Together
- Flights Grounded, Here's What Happens To Your Air Ticket
- Plane On Medical Mission Catches Fire At Manila Airport; All 8 Aboard Killed
- Worried Over Virus-Hit Economy, German Minister Commits Suicide
- The 'NRI Belt' Of Punjab Sees Half Of State's Total Corona Cases
- World T20-Winning Star Joginder Singh Hailed For Being a Coronavirus Warrior
- Coronavirus Natural, Not Engineered, Says NY-based Genomics Expert
- 'Read 18 Chapters Of Gita In Remaining 18 Days Of Lockdown': Kejriwal
- Exclusive | Sehwag Could Bring Any Attack To Its Knees: Wright