President Asif Ali Zardari, currently being treated for a heart condition in Dubai, will return to Pakistan in time for events marking the death anniversary of his late wife, former premier Benazir Bhutto, a federal minister said today.
"The President will return before December 27. The date will be set by his doctors, it is up to them to allow him (to return)," Religious Affairs Minister Syed Khursheed Shah told a TV news channel.
He said Zardari would return to Pakistan and address a meeting to be held at Garhi Khuda Baksh in Sindh province on December 27.
The Bhutto family's mausoleum is located at Garhi Khuda Baksh, which is part of the ruling Pakistan People's Party’s stronghold of Larkana.
Zardari's abrupt departure to Dubai last week to seek treatment for what officials said was a previously diagnosed cardiovascular condition sparked speculation that he could be on the verge of resigning due to growing pressure on him from the powerful military.
PPP leaders have denied reports that Zardari had suffered a minor stroke and that he would step down.
Former premier Benazir Bhutto was killed by a suicide bomber after addressing an election rally in Rawalpindi on December 27, 2007.
Her death anniversary is usually commemorated by the PPP's top leadership at Garhi Khuda Baksh.
In a related development, Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman told the media that he had held a long meeting with Zardari two days before he left for Dubai and that the President appeared to have been ill at the time.
"I got the impression that he was unwell," he said.
Zardari to Return Pak Before Bhutto's Death Anniversary
Rezaul H Laskar/Islamabad
THE LATEST ISSUE
- JEE Advanced Cut Off Lowest In Recent Years, Here’s Why?
- RCB Vs DC LIVE: Bangalore Collapse; Need 76 In 12
- In Absence Of Ailing Paswan, Son Chirag Left To Fight His Own Battle In Bihar Polls
- Covid-19 And The Dream Of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat
- Hathras Case: Forensic Report That Denied Rape Contains No Value, Say Medical Experts
- IPL 2020: KL Rahul’s Record Century, Yuzvendra Chahal’s Clever Bowling Highlights Of Week 1
- IPL 2020: Emergence Of The Team Psychologist And T20 Spinner
- IPL 2020: Expect Run Outs, Batting Collapses And Run Freeze In Initial Matches In UAE
- Woman Scribes' Rift Over Rhea Chakraborty Exposes TV-Print Divide
- Brace For Exciting England-Australia Clash As Old Enemies Meet In New World
- Sports And National Education Policy: A Flawed Understanding
- Reopening Of Schools After Months Of Lockdown
- Trio Wins Nobel Prize In Medicine For Discovery Of Hepatitis C Virus
- FIR Registration Should Be Made Compulsory For All States: Gehlot
- Smriti Irani Calls Rahul Gandhi A 'VIP Kisan'
- Scientists Say ‘Feluda’ Test Could Help India Battle COVID-19
- Foreign Secretary, Army Chief Of India Visit Myanmar
- Amit Mishra's Season Ends
- Cavani To Man Utd, Depay To Barca: Possible Transfer Deadline Day Deals