Breaking his silence over the January 5 mob attack on Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students and teachers, Vice-Chancellor M Jagadesh Kumar on Tuesday said the incident was "unfortunate" and adding, "we will find every opportunity to make sure that normalcy returns to the University".
"Our campus is known for debates and discussions to resolve to any issues. Violence is not a solution," Kumar said at a short press conference where he refused to take questions.
He confirmed the registration process from the next semester had begun on campus. "Students can register for the winter semester now. Let us make a new beginning and put the past behind," he said.
"I would like to tell students that JNU campus is a secure place; have urged all students to come back," he said.
The university had been under a near lockdown as students continued their protest for over two months against a massive fee hike in hostel, mess and security charges which could affect around 40% of the students whose families belong to low-income groups.
On January 5, a mob of masked men and women had stormed the JNU campus and systematically targeted students in three hostels, unleashing mayhem with sticks, stones and iron rods, hitting inmates and breaking windows, furniture and personal belongings. They also attacked a women's hostel.
For in-depth, objective and more importantly balanced journalism, Click here to subscribe to Outlook Magazine