Advertisement
Thursday, Oct 06, 2022
Outlook.com
Outlook.com

Meghalaya Miners Rescue: Navy Divers Return Without Any Trace Of Trapped Miners

Several agencies have joined to speed up rescue operation of 13 miners trapped at a coal mine in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills.

Meghalaya Miners Rescue: Navy Divers Return Without Any Trace Of Trapped Miners
| PTI Photos
Meghalaya Miners Rescue: Navy Divers Return Without Any Trace Of Trapped Miners
outlookindia.com
2018-12-31T08:30:59+05:30

The divers of Indian Navy who went inside the inundated mine in the search of the 15 trapped miners in East Jaintia Hills returned disappointed on Sunday after diving upto 70 feet deep.

Despite the deep dive, the team was not able to reach the ground level.

Rescuers are using high-powered pumps to drain out the water from inside the mine to reach the miners. The biggest challenge for the rescuers in evacuating the trapped miners to higher ground from day one of the rescue operations has been the non-availability of the “mining map or blue print” with the district authorities.

SK Singh, Assistant Commandant, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) said, "Divers have come out now. They have said that the depth of water is too much. They dived till 70 feet down but still have not been able to reach the ground level".

"Water is chilling which makes it difficult for divers to carry out the operation. We are trying our best. Tomorrow Navy Team will go inside with sophisticated equipment that they have. We are hoping for a better output tomorrow," said the official.

Earlier in the day, Navy divers went inside the inundated coal mines to rescue 15 miners who are trapped inside since December 13. A 15-member diving team of the Navy from Vishakhapatnam arrived at Meghalaya on Saturday.

The diving team of the Navy which arrived on Saturday is equipped with specialised equipment, including high-pressure pumps and a re-compression chamber and remotely operated vehicles capable of searching underwater.

The Indian Air Force had also provided two aircraft to Meghalaya government for airlifting specialist personnel of the NDRF from Odisha for helping in the rescue operations. Union Defence Ministry has promised all help to the state government.

The 15 miners have been trapped in a 370-feet deep illegal mine in Lumthari village here since December 13, when the water from the nearby river Lytein flooded the mine.

The illegal private mine was closed for a long time and had been reopened just two days before the incident took place. There are more than 80 such illegal mines in the area. The owner of the mine has been arrested.

On Wednesday, Congress president Rahul Gandhi tweeted about the incident and urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to help save the miners. Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma met with Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on December 27.

PTI

Advertisement

Outlook Newsletters

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Read More from Outlook

Lament Of Separation: Songs Of Habba Khatun, Last Queen Of Kashmir, Still Echo In Valley

Lament Of Separation: Songs Of Habba Khatun, Last Queen Of Kashmir, Still Echo In Valley

In happy times and sad, Habba Khatun’s sensuous songs make both young and old emotional. With the never-ending conflict bringing tragedies to every doorstep, Habba’s lyrics of separation amplify their mourning.

How Indian Laws Govern People’s Right To Love And Live

How Indian Laws Govern People’s Right To Love And Live

In India, only those relationships between a man and a woman are considered to be legitimate when there is a marriage between the two.

Kohli Quits Test Captaincy, Leaves Leadership Vacuum

Kohli Quits Test Captaincy, Leaves Leadership Vacuum

Virat Kohli, 33, had recently stepped down as India's T20I captain and was subsequently removed as the ODI captain.

UP Elections 2022: How Congress Is Harnessing Power Of 'Persecuted' Women To Counter BJP

UP Elections 2022: How Congress Is Harnessing Power Of 'Persecuted' Women To Counter BJP

A Mahila Congress leader, who is the face of the ‘Ladki Hoon, Lad Sakti Hoon’ campaign, however, has accused the party of anti-women bias after she was denied a ticket.

Advertisement