February 25, 2021
Home  »  Website  »  National  »  Kerala: Minor Rape Survivor Was Sexually Abused 38 Times Over Last Few Months

Kerala: Minor Rape Survivor Was Sexually Abused 38 Times Over Last Few Months

The girl was missing for sometime after she was released from a home and was traced to Palakkad in December and brought to the Nirbhaya centre.

Google + Linkedin Whatsapp
Follow Outlook India On News
Kerala: Minor Rape Survivor Was Sexually Abused 38 Times Over Last Few Months
Representational Image
File photo
Kerala: Minor Rape Survivor Was Sexually Abused 38 Times Over Last Few Months
outlookindia.com
2021-01-18T21:58:30+05:30

A 17-year-old rape survivor in Kerala on Monday revealed that she had been allegedly sexually abused by 38 people in the last few months, according to the police. The teenager disclosed the traumatic incidents during a counselling session at a Nirbhaya centre in the state. 

The minor girl was 13 years old when she was first harassed sexually, in 2016. The second incident happened a year later, after which she was sent to the Child Home and allowed to go with her mother and brother about a year ago.

The girl was missing for sometime after she was released from Child Home and was traced from Palakkad in December last and brought to the Nirbhaya centre, according to Mohammed Haneefa, Circle Inspector of Police.

During counselling sessions, she informed the Nirbhaya authorities about the series of sexual abuses and molestation she had been exposed to.

Almost all the accused, who were charged with various crimes, including sexual abuse, have been arrested and remanded to judicial custody, the police officer told PTI.

The Malappuram CWC president Shajesh Bhasker said the CWC has taken all legal and logical steps to ensure the safety of the child, when she was released from the Child Home, about a year ago.

"The decision was taken by our five-member committee and in consultation with the Child Protection Officer. This was done in tune with the Juvenile Justice Act, which says institutionalising a POCSO survivor should be the last priority."

"They are supposed to be sent out with their parents to ensure their protection as well as enabling restoration to society," Shajesh Basker told PTI.

He said the CWC has been acting with utmost good faith and intentions. But there are some flaws in the after-care and follow up of POCSO survivors once they are released in the custody of their parents or relatives, who undertake to protect them, he said.

The Child Welfare Committee (CWC) is the statutory body for ensuring the rights and addressing the needs of the children in need of care and protection.

CWCs have been empowered as the competent authority to take reasoned decisions in the matter of children in need of care and protection. 

With PTI inputs


For in-depth, objective and more importantly balanced journalism, Click here to subscribe to Outlook Magazine
Next Story >>
Google + Linkedin Whatsapp

The Latest Issue

Outlook Videos