Advertisement
Saturday, Oct 01, 2022
Outlook.com
Outlook.com

Punjab Cabinet Decides To Exempt 1.50 Lakh Tax Assessment Cases

In a relief for traders, the Punjab Cabinet on Wednesday decided to exempt about 1.50 lakh cases from tax assessment for the period 2014-15 till 2017-18, a move that will cost Rs 200 crore to the state exchequer.

Punjab Cabinet Decides To Exempt 1.50 Lakh Tax Assessment Cases
Punjab Cabinet Decides To Exempt 1.50 Lakh Tax Assessment Cases
outlookindia.com
2021-12-01T19:09:25+05:30

With this decision, about 8,500 cases would now be assessed every year, according to an official statement. The value-added tax (VAT) assessment was related to cases of category 'C' forms, which are used for inter-state business transactions.

The decision was taken during the Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi here, said the statement.

Although it has been nearly four-and-a-half years since the end of the value-added tax (VAT) regime, there was still a heavy burden of VAT assessment on traders coupled with difficulties in providing C-forms to them.

The Cabinet also gave approval to exempt traders from making payment of 70 per cent of the excess demand raised by the taxation department. Now, they will be only required to deposit 30 per cent of the surplus demand, another move that also cost the state exchequer to the tune of Rs 940 crore.

The traders can pay 20 per cent by March 31, 2022, and the remaining 80 per cent by March 31, 2023, said the statement.

In another decision, the Cabinet approved the One-Time Settlement (OTS) Policy, 2021, for the settlement of dues of Punjab State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd, Punjab Financial Corporation (PFC) and Punjab Agro Industries Corporation (PAIC).

It will help resolve long-pending litigation and settlement between the corporations and the private investors, it said.

With PTI inputs.

Advertisement

Outlook Newsletters

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More from

Read More from Outlook

Lament Of Separation: Songs Of Habba Khatun, Last Queen Of Kashmir, Still Echo In Valley

Lament Of Separation: Songs Of Habba Khatun, Last Queen Of Kashmir, Still Echo In Valley

In happy times and sad, Habba Khatun’s sensuous songs make both young and old emotional. With the never-ending conflict bringing tragedies to every doorstep, Habba’s lyrics of separation amplify their mourning.

How Indian Laws Govern People’s Right To Love And Live

How Indian Laws Govern People’s Right To Love And Live

In India, only those relationships between a man and a woman are considered to be legitimate when there is a marriage between the two.

Kohli Quits Test Captaincy, Leaves Leadership Vacuum

Kohli Quits Test Captaincy, Leaves Leadership Vacuum

Virat Kohli, 33, had recently stepped down as India's T20I captain and was subsequently removed as the ODI captain.

UP Elections 2022: How Congress Is Harnessing Power Of 'Persecuted' Women To Counter BJP

UP Elections 2022: How Congress Is Harnessing Power Of 'Persecuted' Women To Counter BJP

A Mahila Congress leader, who is the face of the ‘Ladki Hoon, Lad Sakti Hoon’ campaign, however, has accused the party of anti-women bias after she was denied a ticket.

Advertisement